The Gabriola Lions Club organizes or takes part in a series of activities to raise funds to support the needs of Gabriolans and to contribute to major organizations dedicated to specific causes. Roll up your sleeves, put on a big smile; we have never had so much fun
making new friends and giving back to our community, Gabriola Island.
Calendar of Activities
- Bingo, Ongoing throughout the year: Major source of funds, and is closely monitored by the BC Gaming Commission.
- Purina Walk for Dog Guides, held annually, is open to dog owners, their friends, and people who just want to walk with or without dogs to raise funds for the support and training of dog guides to be provided free of charge to people in need of them. Click here for more information.
- Concert on the Green, August 7, 2008: Classy musical entertainment for the family, at the golf course in an amphitheatre setting. A major fundraiser. For an overview of its success, see:
- Gabriola Islander Days, September 13, 2008: Pancake breakfast fundraiser.
- Christmas Ferry Canvass, December 2008: Gabriolans and visitors have the opportunity to donate to the annual Christmas hamper program, to enrich the holiday season for the needy.
Serving Gabriolans where there is a need, such as:
- Providing emergency help for those who suffered loss, such as fire.
- Assisting people with disabilities both financially and with special equipment
- Providing funds for young Gabriolans undertaking help for others at home and abroad.
- Supporting Gabriola students through generous bursary and scholarship programs.
- Funding senior's transportation service.
- Helping with transportation and accommodation where family members are in need of special medical care away from home.
- Supporting certain community organizations such as Rainbows, People for a Healthy Community, and The Gathering Place.
- Supplying funds for construction of the Gabriola Sports Field.
- Providing Christmas food vouchers for Gabriola families in need.
- Helping with youth programs such as 4-H and Scouts.
- Assistance for the elementary school lunch program.
- Student assistance for travel for education and overseas service.
- Special equipment for local medical clinics.
Supporting Organizations dedicated to specific causes:
- Shawnigan Lake Camp is entirely a Lions project for kids in need to get away to a summer camp. Lions members also work at the camp.
- Timmy's Telethon is a fundraising event for disabled children.
- Easter Seal House Program provides accommodation so that parents of children requiring hospitalization a distance from home may be close to their child.
- SightFirst is a world-wide blindness prevention program.
- Donations to Children's Hospital in Vancouver.
- CNIB (Canadian National Institiute for the Blind)
- Heart & Stroke Foundation of B.C. & Yukon
- Dog training facility for sight and hearing impaired, and epileptics
- Lions Quest drug awareness programs
- DARE Drug Abuse Resistance Education adopted by the RCMP to provide tools for young students to resist drugs.
- Diabetes awareness
- Funding for an eye surgery instrument, a quiet room and hospice facility at Nanaimo General Hospital
- Labour and funding for many local projects such as the parking lots at the Community Hall and Agriculture Hall, the kids corner outside the Community Hall, and assisted with the bus used by the Gabriola Home Support.
- Learning assistance programs for the local school and student Police for a day.
- CARE (Canadian-American Relief Everywhere) assists rural communities in South America and Africa generally in the area of fresh water supply.
- Seniors Housing projects in particular the Garden Homes Seniors Residence on Gabriola.